The history of bridges spanning the San Joaquin River north of Fresno is long, but also short. There have been only four in 130 years, and two of them have been called Lane's Bridge.
Along a stretch of Highway 41 in Kings County, south of a junction called Hall’s Corner, sits a little adobe with ties to one of the most tragic events in California history, standing as a memorial to a heroic pioneer.
In the depths of the Great Depression, a pair of restaurateurs and a visionary young architect produced a landmark eatery that lit up downtown Fresno.
People at the bus stop on M Street at Courthouse Park might be surprised to know that just over their shoulders stood the gallows where, nearly 120 years ago, Fresno County carried out its only legal hanging.
For one of Fresno’s visionaries, opportunity knocked during a chance encounter in a barbershop in 1904.
The draining of Shaver Lake for repairs this winter presented a once-in-a-lifetime chance to revisit history. The old Shaver dam, hidden from sight for decades, was fully exposed for a few weeks. It was a reminder of the lumber trade and ingenuity that helped shape the development of the Central Valley. Before Fresno County was [...]
Almost nothing remains of ghost town of Kingston, but it lives on in history largely because of an event that broke the a quiet of a Christmas season evening, nearly 140 years ago. The settlement, on the south bank of the Kings River near present-day Laton, was founded around 1855 by pioneer L.A. Whitmore, who [...]
Thought by many to be the grandest building in the Central San Joaquin Valley, the old Fresno County Courthouse might also have been the most controversial.
As the nation sank into the the Great Depression, Fresnans got a needed lift in 1931 when the legendary George Herman "Babe" Ruth came to town.
For the brilliant, eccentric Kenzie Whitten “Blackhorse” Jones, the journey into the afterlife was an obsession. It also became his legacy at the Grangeville Cemetery at Armona.
Built on the birthplace of Fresno, the Southern Pacific Railroad depot represents the city’s transition from a dusty plains outpost to the West’s leading agribusiness center. The 1889 depot is the city’s oldest commercial building. Railroad officials were so impressed by the success of pioneer rancher A.Y. Easterby, who grew 2,000 acres of grain on [...]
A wave of relief must have swept over early day motorists when they negotiated their way to the top of the windy old Tollhouse Road and Cressman’s at Pine Ridge came into view.
Decades before today’s water-themed amusement parks, Zapp’s Park was the place to be on the 4th of July. Fireworks lit up the north Fresno sky. The Fresno Portuguese community used the holiday to put on their annual feed. Kids would stand in line for a block for free refreshments.
Thousands of miles from the front lines, U.S. military members gave Valley folks a reminder of how much their support was needed during the depths of World War II.
By the time Fresno’s first high school graduating class took the stage at the old Barton Opera House in 1891, the seven students were well-schooled in English, science, history, math and four years of Latin.
It was a quiet Tuesday noon hour on Feb. 5, 1924, when a stranger entered the First State Bank at 401 Pollasky in Clovis.
A young Scottish blacksmith made his fortune in late-1800s Fresno with a knack for business and an invention that would make history.
Health care in Fresno was greatly enhanced in 1891 with the arrival of an innovative husband-and-wife doctor team, George A. and Jessie D. Hare.
In the heart of Fresno's old warehouse district stands a sort of time capsule, untouched for 62 years.
Journalism in Fresno has its roots in John William Ferguson's Fresno Expositor, which was founded about the same time as the young city.
Imagine steamboats chugging along the San Joaquin River across the vast plains of the Central Valley.
Funded by an Andrew Carnegie grant of $30,000, construction of the Fresno Public Library at 1330 Broadway St., between Merced and Tuolumne streets, started in 1901 and was completed in 1904.